Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The first week

I think this is going to be good. I walked about 11 miles last week, and did one day of The Firm boot camp (cheesy but good). I feel really good. I like being outdoors walking. I forgot how much I like feeling the air and having time to think. It feels good to have a motivation for exercise as well. I do work out, but its so easy to make it last priority or go a week without it. With the motivation of the Marathon, I really don't want to miss anything because race day will not be fun if I skip training sessions.

Shannon, Kristen and I went for our long walk on Sunday and it was super fun. We went on a trail I didn't even know existed, and it felt like we were in this hidden world nestled in the heart of Pike Creek. We think we did about 4 miles, and with my new cushy running shoes, it was a great walk with no pain. I am excited to keep building our distance and getting better times.

I just keep reading about marathons, and shoes and clothes that work best for long distance, and its kind of an overwhelming world. I can see how the sports related industries make so much money--there are many accoutrements to make a simple and free form of exercise expensive!

We'll see how everything progresses, but I could see this being a new yearly event. And there are marathons all over the place--maybe London next time?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

huh--I tried to comment earlier but it didn't stick, for some reason...

What I said was that I know what you mean about all the accessories for running--that is how I feel about dance clothes and work-out clothes. I could literally spend hours shopping for those, just ask poor Drew!

I am proud of all your walking--you better work!

Emily said...

hey I had a dream that I ran a marathon - I finished easily, and was wondering what the big deal was supposed to be... dreams are hilarious. good luck with all your training... you could walk up this direction some saturday; it would be real good practice!

laura said...

I saw London today and for some reason you were in my thoughts all day:)

Jessica said...

what if this blog got a new lease on life with a retelling of Gordon Ramsey's place in NYC?

I mean I am just saying I totally wouldn't mind reading about it if you had the time to write about it;-)

jes said...

elizabeth, thats awesome! I ran my first half marathon last april and im training for another one in sept. Its so fun!!!! IT's fun to have people cheering you on and thousands of others doing the same thing!!!