Sunday, July 27, 2008

Am I crazy?

So I had casually said to a friend a few months ago that it would be fun to walk a half marathon. I like goals, and I like a challenge and a half marathon sounds much more attainable. So cut to this week, and this same friend sends me an email asking if I really want to do it. I thought about it for a few minutes. All kinds of excuses came flooding into my mind. I mean, come on, do I really want to walk 13.1 miles for fun? I still get nam flashbacks when I smell freshly cut grass on a summer morning from field hockey pre-season in high school. It makes me think of whistles blowing and torture. That is how much I love running.

But then the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment that I know I will feel came to the forefront. I want an excuse to really get in shape, and I think not wanting to fail at the race will motivate me to walk lots and lots up until then. And this isn't running, this is walking, and although it can be just as grueling, I feel much more capable. I've got strong legs, and I am not afraid to use them!

So we start this week. We have a plan, and we will hopefully stick to it. It will be fun to hang out regularly with my friend, and I think we will both come out on the other side very pleased with our selves for doing something so challenging.

We are tentatively doing the Prevention Marathon in Philadelphia in November. Another milestone for my thirtieth year and I can't wait!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Elizabeth, this sounds awesome! You'll be just great--and you're right the sense of accomplishment and the realization of what your body can do will be worth it...

jes said...

hey elizabeth.
im in england and it makes me think of you! my good friend moved to manchester. i love it here. its great. we came down to oxford and man alive its NICE! no wonder you love it here so much!