Sunday, March 30, 2008

Breaking the rut

I feel like it is so easy to get into a rut. Some people are just always spontaneous and doing new and interesting things--I don't think I am one of them. A lot of things I do take a lot of planning, preparation and/or hoping before they ever happen. I don't seem to do anything quickly. Not that my life isn't interesting, its just not spontaneous, and when i find something I like, I want to do it all the time, or get more of it. I like routines and I like being comfortable. Its not that I am NOT open to new things, it's just that I don't really seek them out as often as I would like.

Chris is even more into ritual than I, and together, we make traditions or rituals that we love..otherwise known as ruts. We were really into House, so we watched all the DVD's we could get our hands on. We like Chick-Fil-A, so we go there at every opportunity. Then there was Tasti Thai (this is still on-going). Its a delightful Thai place around the corner, and for awhile, every time Chris would come over, he would have shrimp pad Thai in hand. So much so, that once I went to pick it up, and the little Thai lady said "shrimp pad Thai?" when I walked in. THAT time it wasn't, we got Green Curry OK?!?! We DO branch out once in a while--gosh!

But all this is going to change.....I bought one of those entertainment books with all the coupons inside. It was only $15 and they have coupons for Tasti Thai, so I knew we would at least get our money back. I know, I know, that isn't helping. BUT they have coupons for all kinds of other restaurants, the Philadelphia Art Museum, Grand Opera House, and places you have never even HEARD of. I know. Amazing.

So I got it, knowing that I hate to waste things, and therefore, I won't want to waste the savings awaiting me inside. Perhaps my dearest partner in creating ruts and I, will in fact, do more of the things we have always meant to do, but never got around to.

Traditions are a wonderful part of life, ruts are not. Here's to getting into the rut of doing something different.

3 comments:

The Crazy Bus said...

here's a tradition for ya.... every year Jeff buys the entertainment book from school, and every year we never open it.

this is a tradition that should be either changed or just plain given up on!
Danielle

Lady Leth said...

HA...that's what I'm hoping DOESN'T happen!

jason j said...

I didn't know there were any good Thai places around here. You'll have to give me the hookupts